This course is designed for system administrators who are new to the ServiceNow ecosystem. During this 3‑day interactive training course attendees will implement various system administration functions in their own instance, learning to perform fundamental administration and configuration tasks. Specifically, attendees will learn to:
- Perform core configuration tasks
- Work with User Interface (UI) policies, data policies, UI actions, business rules and client scripts
- Add users, groups and roles
- Manage data with tables, the configuration management database (CMDB), import sets and update sets
- Work with two key process applications: Knowledge Base and ServiceNow Service Catalog
- Create workflow activities and approvals
- Configure alerts and notifications
- View upgrade history and status
- Control system access and data security
- Create baseline performance metrics
- Run reports, configure service level agreements (SLAs) and perform instance branding and customization
- Integrate social IT elements and learn best practices
Attendees participate in real world, relevant lab exercises. The class features lecture and group discussions, as well as extensive hands‑on practice, delivered in a wide variety of labs, tech talks and an interactive discussion of a comprehensive, real‑world example. Click here to view the entire course outline.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for new ServiceNow System Administrators – 0‑3 months into a new deployment.
The ServiceNow Foundations eLearning course – six modules that introduce the ServiceNow platform and interface.
Following this course, ServiceNow recommends that attendees have at least two to three months of hands‑on experiences with ServiceNow before attempting the Certification Exam.
Further details regarding this exam, including an exam blueprint, can be found on the Certified System Administrator page. Successful candidates will be awarded a “ServiceNow Certified System Administrator” certificate.
Module 1 ServiceNow User Interface
Objectives: Configure Navigation, UI, Search and Branding options, Manage Lists and Forms, learn about plugins, the ServiceNow Mobile Platform, and Connect collaboration tools.
- UI Essentials Lab: Configure Navigation, Search, UI and Branding Options.
- Configuration Essentials Lab: Manage Lists and Forms and activate plugins.
Module 2 User Administration
Objectives: Configure User Accounts, Groups, and Roles. User Administration Lab: Add Users, add new Group automatically associated with New User Record, Assign Roles to a Group, Add Users to new Groups, Create and test New Assignment Rule.
Module 3 Data Management and Reporting
Objectives: Work with Tables, Import data, add Configuration Items (Cis) to the CMDB, and Reporting tools.
- Tables Lab: Create new table, Applications and Modules.
- Import Sets Lab: Work with Import Sets and Transform Maps.
- CMDB Lab: Add and Map Cis.
- Reporting Lab: Configure and run Reports.
Module 4 Service Automation Platform
Objectives: Work with key ServiceNow Platforms Applications: Knowledge Base, Service Catalog, Workflows, and SLAs.
- Knowledge Base Lab: Create and Attach Knowledge Base Article.
- Service Catalog Lab: Create Service Catalog Items and add variables.
- Workflows Lab: Work with Workflow Activities and Approvals.
- SLAs Lab: Define an SLA for Catalog Requests.
Module 5 Core Application Administration
Objectives: Work with UI Policies, Data Policies, UI Actions, Business Rules and Client Scripts, Configure Application Security, Work with Notifications.
- Policies and Interactions Lab: Work with UI Policies, Data Policies, UI Actions, Business Rules and Client Scripts.
- Application Security Lab: Provide Application and Module Access for a specified role, create an Access Control Rule to allow record Read Access, Create an Access Control Rule to restrict column Read Access.
- Notifications Lab: Create a Notification based upon a Business Rule, then configure and send an email notification.
Module 6 Ongoing Maintenance
Objectives: Create and Apply Update Sets, learn about Upgrades and Performance, and use the Collaboration Capabilities.
- Update Sets Lab: Create then Retrieve an Update Set.
- Upgrades and Performance Lab: Confirm Release and Upgrade Status, Edit New Build Notifications, and Review Baseline Statistics.
- Collaboration Lab: Use Connect to resolve Lost Prototype Incident.
Module 7 Capstone Project
The Capstone Project has 8 task categories to guide to your deployment.
2014 ServiceNow, Inc. All rights reserved.
ServiceNow and the ServiceNow logo are trademarks of ServiceNow,Inc. All other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders